Jefferson Elementary School—
S. 3612 Grand
Named after U.S. President Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson School was built in two stages—four classrooms were constructed in 1908 followed by four more classrooms three years later in 1911. The two-story school building was designed with a red brick exterior, high ceilings, and tall windows. The school’s population grew and in 1947, a large, permanent addition was built on the south end of the 1908 schoolhouse. The addition was designed in the mid-century Art Modern style as a long, low structure that extended west along 37th Avenue. A large formal entrance to the school was reached by concrete steps (a favorite student meeting place), and the southeast facade corner of the school was architecturally prominent with an unusual round shape. The new addition forever changed the look of Jefferson School, which included ten additional classrooms and a large multi-purpose room. Students at Jefferson later attended Lewis & C lark High School.